Rss Feed
  1. Rowdy Rumble

    Friday, August 10, 2012



    The excitement around the classroom was building. It was Friday afternoon, and as soon as the bell rang me and the rest of the 5th grade boys of LaSalle Elementary were on our way to Caleb's house for his annual birthday party sleepover. And what made Caleb's parties the best were his legendary WWF style Royal Rumbles.

    ...

    Names out of a hat, twelve wrestlers to claim. That's how your fate would be determined on this night. As we drew our crumpled papers, the shouts were clear and rang through the living room. 

    "Hulk Hogan!"
    "Ultimate Warrior!"
    "Macho Man!"

    As I stuck my hand into that raggedy ball cap I could sense it already. This was going to be my year. I had managed to dodge it the past three, but I was due. I nervously opened my piece of paper.

    Rowdy Roddy Piper.

    My heart sank for a moment as I realized what this meant. But I was a proud kid, and wanted badly to win the Rumble. Caleb brought out the costume box and everyone dug in for their gear. A yellow Hulk tank for one, colorful Warrior arm tassels for another. I gathered my costume and retreated to the bathroom to prepare my entrance. I looked at myself in mirror, the steel eyes of courage stared back.

    "Rowdy. Roddy. Piper." I said coldly. "Go take what's yours."

    And with that I exited the bathroom and charged down the hallway, my pink skirt flailing as I ran. You see, children's kilts were awful hard to come by in our small little town.

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment