Rss Feed
  1. We're Contenders Now

    Friday, August 24, 2012



    Recently, Cleveland Indians radio announcer Harry Doyle and his colorman Monty sat down with Indian’s manager Lou Brown to talk about the surprising 1989 season. Here is the interview.


    Harry Doyle: Lou Brown, best damn skipper in the bigs. Let's talk about that magical ride in '89. The Cleveland Indians, assembled like shit thrown at the wall and left for dead, go on an absolute tear and catch the those Yankee bastards. What was the spark, Lou?

    Lou Brown: Well Harry, it was a few things. The vets we had were solid. Taylor, Harris, even that blowhard Dorn. And I knew we had a little something with some of our young guys. Couple a future All Stars in there I tell ya. Hayes, goddamn was he fast. Talked a lot, but he really set the table for our bats like Serrano. And Vaughn of course. Man that sonofabitch can deal.

    Doyle: Let’s talk about Wild Thing. Cultural phenomenon, a local icon really. Healthy rap sheet to match, mostly parking tickets I'm sure. Can you explain it?

    Brown: You know Harry, I just can’t say. Vaughn comes in to that damn song and people lose their shit. 'Aint seen nothing like it in forty damn years. Hell of cannon on him. That’s the only advice I ever gave him. “Just give ‘em the heater, Ricky.”

    Doyle: Throws a heater in a wife beater, right Monty? Anyway, Lou, how about the big fella Serrano? Big bat, scary motherfucker too.

    Brown: You’re telling me. Came into my office after a game and asked for the next day off from practice. Asked him what for, tells me he needs to purify his bats in a tub of sheep’s blood or some horseshit. I said you learn to hit a curveball and I don’t give a rat’s ass what you do.

    Doyle: Hope nobody brought the family dog to the clubhouse. He had a thing with Harris right?

    Brown: Well, I try to stay out of the guys’ business. But those two really got after it and effed up my clubhouse. Jesus this. Jobu that. Just shut your holes and play some ball. But Harris was our rock. That old sack of shit was throwin’ the lord’s junk or something. Helped get us to the dance.

    Doyle: What about Jake Taylor. You pulled him off the scrap heap, knees like jello, looked like it was time to put him out to pasture. But he stays in one piece and has an All Star season. What gives? He juicing?

    Brown: (Laughing) Taylor? Juice? Only juice he takes has vodka in it. But Jake sure did come through for us. Team leader, tough S.O.B. too. Really helped Vaughn come along. He’ll be in my seat someday.

    Doyle: Well Lou, thanks for chewing it with us. I don’t care what they say about ya, you’re one hell of a guy. Right, Monty?

    Monty:

    Doyle: Exactly.




  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment